Constantine & Co. Leeds
A fine set of six, Victorian, solid mahogany dining chairs. The arched top rail curving down to the reupholstered drop in seats, with an open fret shaped back strut, the front sabre legs ending in replaced castors. Each chair with labelled for ‘Constantine & Co, No 28899, Workman John Blakey’. A very solid set of chairs in excellent condition.
Height 35” (89cm) seat height 18” (46cm)
Width 20” (51cm)
Depth 20” (51cm)
South Parade, Leeds, Yorks.; cabinet makers, upholsterers and bed, bedding & mattress manufacturers (fl.1834–1882)
The autobiography of Thomas Wilkins records that his brother was employed as foreman carver by Constantine from the mid 1830s at 28s a week. By the early 1840s the firm was employing about a hundred workers including fifteen carvers. On 27 January 1837 they supplied a pair of ‘Handsome Ottoman Stools for Altar Table, covered with Brussels Carpets, on Spanish Mahogany Frames’ for the Oxford Place Methodist Chapel, Leeds. These with their brown Holland covers were charged at £4. During the period of 1834-40 William Constantine & Co. was recorded at 3 South Parade.
Constantine & Co. was listed as bed, bedding & mattress manufacturers, upholsterers & cabinet makers at South Parade in The Furniture Gazette Directory, 1877 & 1882. The Furniture Gazette, 22 March 1884, recorded that John Woodthorpe, foreman cabinet maker at the firm for 22 years, died on 14 March 1884 at the age of 57.